Gone are the days when dorm decor was just posters and milk crates. Dorm living has come a long way on the sophistication scale, and students are much savvier about setting up their space. No surprise then that Laken, an incoming college freshman, already had a strong sense of style, and cared what her room looks like, even if it's for only nine months.
Laken was greeted by a very typical sight: commercial grade carpeting, conspicuous vents, and standard issue furniture. The dorms are very nice by all accounts, but it's always a challenge to transform an impersonal space into a comfortable home.
Because painting is a big no-no — along with other permanent changes — Laken had to find temporary ways to bring texture and colour into her space.
This summer she created a Tumblr with images of homes and rooms that inspired her, and used it as reference while shopping for dorm decor. As you can see, she went for a boho meets Morocco meets flea market meets romance feel. On her wish list were rich jewel tones in warm colours, mixed patterns and layered fabrics, and a bed canopy for privacy.
1. Configured her furniture, including raising the bed, to allow for more storage. As a result, the dresser, some storage bins and a hamper fit nicely underneath and stay out of sight.
2. Bought a variety of textiles for colour, pattern, and texture.
3. Hung a simple vintage bird print using a wooden skirt hanger and Command strips.
4. Zoned the room with a rug.
5. Constructed a bed canopy to cover up unsightly vents, and to create some sculptural interest.
Credits: Text and photos Apartment Therapy